1. Question:Hand Sanitizer is for killing germs why is it now being used for virus?
Answer:Virus too is a germ, you need hand sanitizer that is alcohol base. At least (70% alcohol)
2. Question:I travelled last week and my fiancé had rashes on his body, the following morning the rashes left him, Hope it is not a symptom of EBOLA because he lives in Lagos. (Dr. William)
Answer:Rashes are caused by many conditions. A rash without other typical symptoms of Ebola is not significant without those symptoms. It is just a rash.
3. Question:What about using ATM machine by touching it, I mean the button.
Answer:A person that is strong enough to use the ATM is not likely to be suffering from Ebola. Hygiene rules are to be applied.
4. Question:Can Ebola be contacted through handling money (market, banks, ushers in church etc) (Dr. Adetunji)
Answer:No. But good hygiene is advised.
5. Question:Some people that tested positive for Ebola Virus in Nigeria were discharged. What treatment was used in treating them? (Dr. Adetunji)
Answer:They were quarantined and discharged when they were negative for the test for Ebola
6. Question:How effective is Zmapp and how available is it in Nigeria and at what Cost? Also what is your take on Nanosilver. (Dr. Adetunji)
Answer:Zmapp is an experimental drug. Only one person it was used on survived. Nanosilver is not licensed for Ebola
7. Question:Do animals infected with Ebola die within 21 days?
Answer:Some animals infected are not by (Bats), while others that are infected die. Whether they die within 21 days or shorter we are not sure.
8. Question:Can mosquitoes transmit Ebola?
9. Question:Can hand sanitizers kill the virus in hand?
Answer:If it is AT LEAST 70% alcohol based
10. Question:Can one who has previously survived Ebola be re-infected?
Answer:Yes with another strain of Ebola virus
11. Question:Can the blood of one who has been cured, be worked on so that it can be used as a form of immunization or treatment?
Answer:It is possible to use it on experimental basis for immunization but no vaccine is available yet on for treatment using the immune substances
12. Question:For a dead Ebola patient is it best to bury it in the grave or to cremate the patient to ashes. (Dr. Adetunji)
Answer:Our culture does not like cremation. They are buried in a special way, – put in body bag, disinfected, dig up to 2meters. And put a slab. (Dr Gbolahan)
13. Question:If somebody gets infected, within which period could the symptoms be noticed?
Answer:2 – 21days, but usually in 8 – 10days they become ill
14. Question:If someone is suspected to have Ebola, how do we evacuate such patient from the home? Dr Gbolahan)
Answer:Call the emergency numbers, and the government team will come in full protective gear to take the patient.
15. Question:What is being used to disinfect?
Answer:hypochlorite – bleach solution 1 part in 10
16. Question:How often can one disinfect a home? (Dr. Gbolahan)
Answer:Once in 3 months.
17. Question:Do we have functional health research Institute in Nigeria in order to look for cure?
Answer:Yes. Research is going on.
18. Question:How do we know dead corpses brought into the country are not infected?
Answer:There is a medical report/death certificate from source country. They should be transferred without risk of infection. Dead bodies from Ebola outbreak areas are not allowed to leave.
19. Question:If someone has Ebola and has been cured of it, can such person be infected with Ebola Virus again (i.e. for the second time again)
Answer:Yes, by a different strain of Ebola.
20. Question:Can Ebola be transmitted by chicken in a Poultry?
Answer:No the source is mammals like bats, deer, gorilla, chimpanzees, monkeys
21. Question:How can a worker working in Poultry protect himself or herself?
Answer: You can only be infected, e.g. when you have contact with fluids of infected people, dead victims of Ebola or animals infected with Ebola, but not from chicken.
22. Question:If I shake a person that has touched infected person, I then use my hand to carry my bag, I then wash my hand, do I have to wash my bag?
Answer:Only sick people can transmit the infection; don’t handle sick people.
23. Question:Does burying a dead Ebola victim have any effect on our soil?
Answer:If the body of the victim is properly disinfected, buried deep enough, at least 2 meters and slabbed, it will have no effect.
24. Question:Why is it that patient treated in US with Zmapp drug survived, while the others treated in Liberia and Spain respectively, did not survive considering the fact that they were all treated with the same drugs? What do you think is responsible?
Answer:There are differences in response of our immune system. Some people die and others survive without zmapp
25. Question:Do we have any cure and vaccine for Ebola treatment?
Answer:No cure or vaccine now. Research is going on worldwide with some promising results (China)
26. Question:What form of awareness Programme is being done by the Federal Government to protect the citizen from the dreaded diseases?
Answer:Jingles, community engagement, health talk.
27. Question:How often are we advised to wash our hands knowing fully well that it is rather difficult to wash the children hands in school?
Answer: Hand washing is for all communicable diseases. Wash as often as it is dirty.
28. Question:If hand sanitizer contains alcohol and is good for prevention does that mean it is good for body as anti Ebola.
Answer:Taking alcohol is not a cure for Ebola.
29. Question:How long can the viruses survive outside human fluids?
Answer: It can survive for about 10 mins. But longer if stored in the lab as a frozen specimen.
30. Question:Please what measures are being done to encourage people with Ebola to come out willingly looking at the stigmatization they are presently being exposed to?
Answer:jingles, community engagement, sensitization like these ones.
31. Question: OAU-Ife has the greatest colony of Bat in Nigeria. Is it possible for Ebola to transmit there? And what did the government or the school doing?
Answer:Ebola is not an indigenous disease of Nigeria so our animals are not infected.
32. Question:Please can the Ebola virus be gotten from public pools/ beaches visited by an infected person?
Answer:People with active disease are too ill to go about. Public gatherings are discouraged in epidemics.
33. Question:How prepared are our hospitals in testing and confirming EBOLA CASES?
Answer:we have a lab in UCH and in different parts of Nigeria to test for and confirm Ebola virus disease.
34. Question:I was in a hospital here in Ibadan recently when a case brought looked like Ebola and the hospital did nothing because of quarantine kit, until the patient died.
Answer:There is No confirmation of any Patient suffering from Ebola in Ibadan to date.
Answer:People with Ebola have to be treated with proper personal protective equipment, not every case that looks like Ebola is confirmed to be Ebola viral disease. Some are Lassa fever cases. The public can also notify the epidemiology department through the emergency numbers.
35. Question: There is massive public enlightenment being done in Lagos with all sense of urgency, to reach the wide populace, What is Oyo State Government doing as regard educating the public. [The world is in a state of emergency-WHO]
Answer:Oyo State is educating people through jingles, TV, Posters etc. Doctors are also being prepared and sensitized to know what steps to take.
36. Question:We have people taking public vehicles for transportation, and they park people together, what if the fluid of an Ebola infected person drops on someone?
Answer: Please raise an alarm when someone really ill is in a public transportation, transmission is possible
37. Question:You have two people on one bike sitting closely together, what do you have to say about it?
Answer:If the person is very ill with Ebola and sweating with internal fluids from him touching the bike riders they can be transmitted.
38. Question:Is treatment in any of our health centres free?
Answer:Yes the government pays.
39. Question:If bush meat is thoroughly cooked can it still transmit Ebola since you said Ebola cannot survive under 60o heat.
Answer:Our wild animals have not been reported to be infected, but care is needed and meat should be properly cooked.
40. Question:Can roasted or boiled bush –meat transmit Ebola?
Answer:Properly cooked UNINFECTED meat cannot transmit.
41. Question:The marriage vow says in sickness and in health. We will be together. Now, this is the question, if my partner is infected with the virus, what should I do…… Knowing that I love him very much.
Answer: He is a risk to everybody so public interest overrides your wishes. He will be treated and you will be in quarantine.
42. Question:We have been eating bush meat for many years in Nigeria, Is it all bush meat that now harbor Ebola.
Answer: It is not documented yet but the possibility is high since they can be infected by other animals harboring Ebola virus. Ebola Virus is not indigenous to Nigeria that is why we have not had the problem until it was imported by Mr. Sawyer.
43. Question:Can someone take drug to boost one’s immune system against EBOLA.
44. Question:This question is for the state epidemiologist “What is the government doing to ensure adequate gloves, aprons, hand towels, detergent, pipe borne water and sanitizers in our hospitals in Oyo state
Answer:Contingency plans are on and some items are already being provided.
45. Question:I heard that if u touch someone with the Ebola virus you cannot be infected as long as you do not inhale your hand or put it in your mouth..How true is this?
Answer:No. Contact with EVD patient without adequate protection is discouraged even their dead bodies are not to be touched.
46. Question:Can I suggest that members of the church should not be asked to shake one another because this has caused insult when a member failed to respond. Thanks
Answer:Only sick people transmit. Hand washing is advised. Your choice. We don’t have an epidemic
47. Question:There was a time I received a broadcast message on my BBM to bath by reading books of psalm and dilute salts with water. Please, can that cure EBOLA?
Answer:No. Confirm or deny any such information from government sources or your doctor.
48. Question:Once you mentioned the alcohol as one of the preventive measures, then does it really mean that alcohol addicts are less infected with EBOLA?
49. Question:Since it was discovered in 1976, why have African countries not been proactive, until now?
Answer:We don’t have full information about reservoirs and transmission. We are also resource poor. Research is expensive
50. Question:By the use of salt and water can EBOLA virus be cured? Can the serum (blood) of someone who has recovered from Ebola be used in treating Ebola.
Answer:No it is being investigated
51. Question:Can it be transmitted through kissing?
52. Question:(a) Is it not possible for hospitals who have treated Ebola to make it private in order for people to patronize them.
(b) How can people who per-adventure were miss-diagnosed live their normal life in their community.
Answer:(a) Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) is one of the noticeable diseases. It is a public health risk, so the hospitals have to report such cases. Same goes for cholera, TB, Lassa fever, Dengue fever etc. Notifying the authorities means the hospital is giving standard care.
Answer: (b) People are screened for Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) and if found negative, they are released from quarantine. They are not mis-diagnosed. A confirmation of EVD is done only in the laboratory until confirmation, anybody with symptoms like ebola is a SUSPECTED CASE and if the person has had contact with anybody with EVD and that person is sick with typical symptoms the person is a PROBABLE CASE. A Positive Lab confirmation means CONFIRMED CASE OF EBOLA.
53. Question:Well done Sir, please you said the health workers are prone to contracting the disease, but sir what about those that work in the Bank?
Answer:Bankers deal with “healthy” people so risks are low. Health workers deal with “sick” people and only the ill patients with EVD can transmit the infection.
54. Question:Like a house maid, can they contract Ebola through washing cloth?
Answer:Only if the cloth is from a victim of Ebola. Incineration of the clothes after notification is better.
55. Question:There is a rumors that Ebola is air borne. How true and valid is that?
Answer:Not documented yet.
56. Question:For Bankers, how can they protect themselves, wet polymer note probably by an infected Ebola patient might be brought to the Bank?
Answer:They are too sick to be moving about. Please don’t allow such people into the bank. Use proper hand washing frequently. Hygiene is paramount.
57. Question: (i) As many Nigerians are putting on hand gloves, please can hand gloves prevent people from contracting Ebola from an infected person?
(ii) Please how fast can Ebola enter into someone’s body when the person come in contact with effected person because some people shake hands and slowly go to wash hand.
(iii)Please do we (Nigerians) have to stop eating all types of bush meat?
Answer: (i). it helps to reduce spread.
(ii) It needs broken skin, and other portals of entry. We don’t fully
understand the transmission.
(iii) Eat properly processed meat and meat you are sure of the
source. Some dead animals harbour illnesses.
58. Question:Can the virus survive outside the medium unlike we were told that the virus for HIV cannot survive outside the medium for long.
Answer:It can. It will multiply inside the fluids. The larger the body fluid, the longer it survives.
59. Question:Can EVD disease be transmitted by food? Can Ebola virus disease be transmitted through kissing, hugging.
Answer: Not food. Kissing, hugging – Yes.
60. Question:Is Ebola virus in Sweat? If it is, I think shaking of hands should be suspended every where.
Answer:it is in sweat. But only the very sick transmit Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) and infect people.
61. Question:What precaution to allay Ebola, If symptoms persist not later than a day what can I do. What drug precisely can cure it?
Answer:No drug cure. When you are sick, see a doctor.
62. Question:Since Ebola is transmitted through body fluid, can it be contracted through sweat?
Answer: Yes, if the victim of EVD is sick.
63. Question:We are told that there is yet no cure for Ebola, what was then used in treating those who were healed in Lagos?
Answer:Supportive treatment, IV fluid, blood, others as the patient need it.
64. Question:Assuming an illiterate man has an Ebola and he does not know till it gets worse. Is there any probability that all the family members and people around him haven’t contracted the disease?
Answer:That is why contacts are quarantined and tested.
65. Question:How true or effective can the use of salt, bitter kola and spirit prevent Ebola?
66. Question:Can Ebola be contracted through mosquito bite?
67. Question:(i) Is it true that hot salt water prevent Ebola?
(ii) Is it also true that the blood of a cured patient can cure an infected person?
(ii) It is being investigated
68. Question:What is the response of Ebola virus to temperatures? Does it survive in very cold temperature?
Answer:It dies in temperatures >600c It is preserved in cold. Dies in temperature greater than 600c (>600c).
69. Question:What are the chances of an Ebola survivor re-contracting the disease?
Answer: The survivor can be re-infected with another strain of Ebola Virus.
70. Question:i. Kindly enlighten us on the use of gloves. ii. and touching other body parts.
Answer:i. Reduces spread ii. Easily spread
71. Question:Please is it true that the Ebola was caused by the American government. in order to reduce the population of the Africans so they dominate the world economy continuously? That was the reason why the drug can only work for the American Doctor.
Answer:not true at all
72. Question:Some people were said to have been cured of Ebola in Nigeria and discharged, what is the name of drug used in getting this done.
Answer:There is no typical drug treatment for Ebola. Treatment is symptomatic – Fluids, electrolytes, blood and supportive until they are well. Some people said to be cured, never had it. They were quarantined and released when they were found to be negative after laboratory testing.